I'm still firming up my variables, but so far I've got the following down for my main and dynamic variables. I'm building on a acquisition/steal share strategy with my main competitor as Patagonia. I'm wishing I had the time/resources to do more research on this, but at this point I'm going to have to go with some assumptions on the market.
Main Variable: Need for quality. This is the variable that the market leader should dominate. I'm still a bit unsure since this is so general and there are many in this category that offer high quality.
Dynamic Variable: Need for transparent sustainable production. So far, this dynamic variable has gone through numerous revisions in my paper (and in my head). Most recently I added the 'transparent' since that is unique and a huge focus for GoLite.
Below is the chart I've created demonstrating these variables. More research on the competitors will help me to determine if these locations are correct, but I'm thinking this is pretty close.


I think you are on the right track with your dynamic variable. Especially with acquisition steal share strategy. You want to be the market leader or near the top in the dynamic variable. My one concern would be is this something Patagonia can easily replicate? Does this tie into your core competency in such a way that you can defend yourself? Just something to think about.
ReplyDeleteJeremy- you are right on with my main concern for this strategy. I'm thinking the key argument is that it will be difficult for Patagonia to replicate this strategy because it is much larger and therefore perhaps can't keep up with providing a sustainability index for each product (as GoLite does).
ReplyDelete